When choosing online software or applications, please keep the following in mind:
Is it the right tool?
- Is there an already approved tool that accomplishes the same functions?
- Does the software support the instructional purpose in meeting state standards?
Does it gather the right data?
- Does the software collect the appropriate data needed for instruction or is it collecting too much data?
Is the data being used correctly?
- Does the software protect who can access the data?
- Is the data being used for marketing and/or being sold to other organizations?
Is the data being protected?
- Does the software utilize technologies such as encryption and logging to protect student data?
Here is some language to pay attention to when reviewing on-demand contracts:
Privacy may be at risk:
- user information may be used for targeted advertising
- we may collect, store, sell or share information to 3rd parties
- information may be visible to 3rd parties
- we utilize location services
- we own the data collected or stored
- keep data even when accounts are deleted
Statements to consider with caution:
- collect and store information
- access your contacts
- users must be at least X years old
Positive privacy statements to look for:
- we do not collect personally identifiable information
- we will not share or sell information to 3rd parties
- we comply with COPPA, FERPA, CIPA
- collect, use, share, and retain student personal information only for purposes for which we were authorized by the educational institution/agency, teacher or the parent/student
- we have signed the Federal Student Data Privacy Pledge